Sunday, 9 November 2008

large Tree and flowering cherries.

Rampant Gardener... For obvious reason, this picture is Not taken anywhere near my houseLivvy seems to be on a (pervy?) autumn topic of quirrels and underwear. And Burlesque "lovin is her business" Honey is also in a most charming Rant Mode concerning autumn holidays.

It is the season. And I dont want to remain behind. So here is my autumnal-seasonal topic. And this topic is not pervy at all, despite the inevitable allusions that can be made with regards to large trees and cherries... (queue remarks from Livvy....)

Now I happen to have This tree in front of my house, a Fagus Sylvatica Purpurea (european beech), and it is Greatly Appreciated. I'll try to include a picture to illustrate how nice these specimen can be. When they built the house, they made the effort to conserve the tree. And with brilliant result. The tree gives a magnificent Cachet to the whole home-garden-driveway combination. It is also located south of the main part of the house and thus Ideal for shade in the summer. The previous owner(s) also had it cut so that you can park cars on the gravel-driveway underneath it, but I try to discourage that.

Displaying its grandeur and its obvious seniority over all of us (the house, its inhabitants and the ugly-parked cars, despite my NO Parking policy), the Tree in winter will graciously let the rays of sunshine reach through into the living and dining area. Thus providing us the illusion of warmth (helped by a nice woodfire for which I have to chop the blocks - good excercise, but often a lot of work, different story).

So my Rant ?

leaves and nuts of this species are all over my guttering and gravel-driveway, and they turn into muddy-humus, excellent compost, but not nice to slush through in winter.Eternal leaves! Every autumn the leaves and nuts of His Majesty, who is considerably taller then the highest guttering, must be removed before they clog up the drainpipes. This is risky business, as some of the walls require a 3-piece ladder.

You may think: fine, so he has to climb a ladder four times per year. Getting high-up is a speciality of Ptr, and a few trips up a ladder are a small price to pay for such a magnificent Tree? But the leaves (and nuts) of His Beechness, and those of the japanese flowering cherry always seem to fall at times when I'm not around. I have to find time to clean out the guttering and rake the driveway before it turns all mucky. Extending that ladder can be fun and a bit adventurous in a way, but rakeing up all the leaves is just tedious work. Anyway... more on the leaves and the rakeing later. Due to all that cleanup-work I still have to go out and chop some firewood for the evening.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

I have a Japanese Kanzan (Flowering cherry tree) in my front garden at the side of my driveway. When it is in full blossom you can see it directly through my daughter's bedroom window. It's like a bowl of pink froth and is gorgeous.
The leaves are beautiful just before they fall, but when they do we are almost knee deep in them and they cover my car.

I love that tree. It was bought for me, for my birthday over twenty years ago, and when I sell the house it will be just one of the things there that I will regret leaving behind.

In my back garden I have a smoke-bush, which I have allowed to spread, and this is another tree I find strikingly beautiful. I like to gaze upon it when I have the time, and admire it for the lovely thing it is.

Outside the back, close to the house - a little too close actually, I have a laburnum tree. It attracts the tiny birds for some reason, and the blossom is also breathtaking when it is full and heavy.

I have always felt passionate about trees. I hate it when I see one being cut down, it's akin to burning books..

The English Courtesan said...

Moi, a perv? And you, a backwoodsman? Hmmm...thinks...there's certainly potential in that... ;-)

Livvy xxx

Ptr_leeds said...

Hello and welcome back Sarah. So you are a bit of a tree hugger too eh? Welcome to the club.

Potential Livvy? You think we would we have enough potential to make a spark fly?